Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Pholegandros
(136 words)

[German version]

(Φολέγανδρος; Pholégandros). Island in the southern Cyclades (33 km2, 19 km long, up to 4 km wide) to the southeast of Melos (Strab. 10,5,1; 5,3; Plin. HN 4,68; Ptol. 3,15,31), named after a son of Minos (Steph. Byz. s.v. Φ.), today once again called P.; its highest elevation is Hagios Eleutherios (411 m). P. was settled as early as the Cretan-Mycenaean Period, later it was Doric. P. was a member of the Delian League (tribute 1000 drachmai: ATL 1,434f.; 2,83). The ancient city of P. was above modern P. on the southeastern coast (graves, marble spolia and walls from the …

Cite this page
Külzer, Andreas (Vienna), “Pholegandros”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 19 July 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e923660>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲